Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Singing Spiritual Songs


During my daily scripture reading I came across Ephesians chapter 5. "Be very careful, then, how you live- not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead of, be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." 15-20
My Pastor was actually just talking about something along these lines over the weekend. When you "become" a new Christian, your're heart becomes filled with the Spirit and everything seems to be so beautiful and you are full of gratitude. But over time, you settle or become comfortable and although you form good habits, like praying every morning or night or studying your bible and going to church, a lot of times new Christians forget the real beauty of Christianity, to be a follower of Jesus and to walk with him. You know those bracelets that say WWJD? Well turns out, that was actually great marketing. In your daily life, whatever situation you are faced with, you really should think, "What Would Jesus Do?"
How many Christians do you know that attend church, can quote scripture from out of nowhere and volunteer their time, but when it comes to how they live as a person, they appear to be very hypocritical? I'm sure most of us can think of someone. I hate to admit it, but I am also one of "those" Christians. As much as I would like to be a good Christian, it can be very hard in the society we will live in, especially where I live, in Washington, DC. I am surrounded by such greed and hate in people all the time. I also live in a world where, as a young woman showing kindness, it can be perceived as being naive and might eventually lead to me being taken advantage of and getting hurt. <--- a story we have all read one too many times.
It always starts out the same: I do my best to be a good Christian person and for the most part I am, but that one day when God challenges me with a difficult person, for example, a driver who cuts me off, I get angry and might mutter under my breath how stupid that driver was. I have failed the challenge. It is at this point, I become a hypocritical Christian.
So where do we find the spiritual songs to sing? The answer is beyond easy and I think that's what makes it so hard. It really is simple, just become a true follower of Jesus and always ask, What would He WANT me to do? Because when we truly become a follower, the songs will get louder and easier to hear. And when you've got such a great song playing in the background, how could you ever get angry?

No comments:

Post a Comment